Thank you to all that responded.

Yes the file is being opened withing the subroutine and no, is not easy to change it to open the file higher in the food chain. It seems that D3 scopes the lock table according to the user that created the lock (the lock is released when they log off, if not explicitly released beforehand), whereas Universe scopes the lock at the life of the file variable used (as Brian and others suggested). Just another issue to work around when porting code from AP/D3.

This piece of code was an add-on for a tacked-on extension to a system many years ago by persons unknown. It may be easier to open most of the files in the system at logon time and put them in a named common.

Cheers,
Noel

Noel wrote:
Hi all,

I am porting some code from D3 to Universe 10.1.11 on Windows (and then to Linux 10.2.x)

I have a subroutine that does a READU on an item and leaves the lock set when it returns to the calling the program (The calling program will release the lock at a later stage). However, Universe is releasing the lock when it returns from subroutine. Is this a known feature and is there an option to turn off this behaviour?

Cheers,
Noel