-----Original Message-----
From: Stevenson, Charles

Responding to this part only:

> Yes the file is being opened withing the subroutine and no, is not
> easy to change it to open the file higher in the food
chain.

   SUBROUTINE XYZ( ... )
   COMMON /XYZ.ONLY/ XYZ.COMMON.INIT, FVAR
   IF NOT( XYZ.COMMON.INIT ) THEN
      OPEN 'whatever-file' TO FVAR ELSE ... Abort ? ...
      XYZ.COMMON.INIT = @TRUE
   END
   READU rec FROM FVAR, 'some-id' ELSE ...
   RETURN ;* readu lock ON whatever-file some-id is retained
          ;* and file remains open in /XYZ.ONLY/ common.
END

The calling program can later release that lock via:

   OPEN 'whatever-file' TO LOCAL.FVAR ...
   RELEASE LOCAL.FVAR, 'some-id'

BUT !!!NOT!!! By this:

   OPEN 'whatever-file' TO LOCAL.FVAR ...
   RELEASE LOCAL.FVAR

Yet these 2, within the calling program, WILL cause the record lock on
'some-id' to be released:
   RELEASE
Or:
   STOP

I'm just describing what IS (10.0.16), not whether good or bad.
cds