re SAN's and Universe:

DELETE.FILE and RESIZE.FILE will not work on dynamic files that are NFS mounted. (Universe keeps the DATA.30 file open while trying to delete the enclosing directory. This will fail on an nfs mounted directory.) Override the VOC entry with your own version.

Do not access a snapshot of a file from the same mount as the original. At least on NetApps, the inode of the snapshot will be the same as the inode of the original. Universe will confuse the data.

Besides the usual caveats about making sure that a single machine controls locks for any given file, it is also worthwhile to keep the NFS under a set folders(4-6 or so) and then give each of these folders its own mount point on the host machine. Effectively creating multiple devices under UV.

Of course: do not try this without a good UPS. Most SAN's have one built in too.

Corruption of a group is still possible, but our experience has been good.

My advice would be to replicate snapshots rather than live data (Unless you are using Uv Replication). With snapshots, you can temporarily suspend IO, take a snapshot, and continue.

If you are doing live replication at the SAN level, then a major problem (an errant DELETE.FILE, for instance) will be replicated on your backup SAN. Also, suspending IO will avoid catching files in transitional states.

Good Luck!

-Rick Nuckolls
Lynden, Inc