We have customers running UniData on a SAN and very pleased with the
results.  The snapshotting really isn't as practical as they'd have you
believe was probably the biggest negative surprise - their users were
unwilling to deal with a 15-30 second 'DBPAUSE' more than once or twice a
day, so the idea of doing a 'snapshot an hour' went out the window in the
first week.  Otherwise, the users don't notice the difference on the
LeftHand SANs using gigabit ethernet we've seen out there. Just make sure
you have the ability to prioritize and localize to 'hide' us from the
constant Exchange disk assault -- but most anything will do that now in
SAN-Land.  Additionally, we have one client totally virtual -- Vmware
Infrastructure and a SAN -- most of their end users are hard pressed to tell
the difference.

YMMV ... But if it's rationally assembled, and ultimately 'looks' like a
"Local" "D" drive to the UniData/UniVerse system - it can have good results
and allow you to 'hardware mirror' outside your four walls.  But shop
carefully  -- you'll want to go spindle happy. More is frequently better in
these setups as it allows 1+0 mirroring in the SAN as well.

David W.