Yeah, I've always found that a periodic scheduled reboot is a good idea;
monthly seems to work well. I still would call it 99.999%, as the downtime
is scheduled. We can afford a much higher tolerance for scheduled downtime
than for unscheduled downtime. If you can't do that, then there's probably
going to be an increased amount of the hairier sort of sysadmin. Cleaning
out orphaned shared memory segments while not deleting the wrong ones
(phantoms look a lot like orphaned processes at first glance), maintaining
active user lists, that sort of thing. A wise, old, even ancient U2 Guru
once said to me, "when you can absolutely guarantee to me that there are no
bugs in the software you write, we can talk about guaranteeing no bugs in
the OS. Until then, we're going to have periodic reboots". Well, words to
that effect. He has that wonderful flourish with the English language that
uber-geekdom often confers.

It is in identifying the files to replicate that we spend a great deal of
our time. You should only replicate those files you care about, but how do
you decide which ones to care about?

Temp files are usually not replicated, but even that's a judgement call. You
certainly need to replicate all of the associated files when you decide to
replicate a file. For example, if you're replicating a transaction file, you
would want to replicate a batch file to maintain logical data integrity.
That ones kind of obvious, but you'll want to investigate & think about the
less obvious ones. Do you create work files on the fly? Then don't assume
that the VOC is static, etc.

You wouldn't want to replicate program files; if you _did_ want to do so,
you should re-examine your release/version control process <g>.

In short, it's a file-by-file decision process, after you make the global
determination, "what's my risk tolerance"?. By this I mean, do you need the
system to come up exactly as it was? Or can you "live" with recovering only
a subset. Chances are, if you're replicating, your risk tolerance is
rational and low.

1. Will this file change after the previous backup?
2. Is this a critical enough file that I will need it to come up as it was
at the point of failure?
3. Does this file need to be in sync with another file I need replicated?
4. Other questions you may have. For example, is this an ERP product
structure that gets rebuilt from a bill of materials file? You may or may
not want to replicate it. Pros would include not having to rebuild it as a
part of recovery. Cons would include the resource consumption when you
rebuild it on a normal schedule: RFS memory allocation, network saturation,
etc.