To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2008 9:51 AM
Subject: RE: [U2] Skype cannot connect

Helen the home user wrote:
Skype no longer works for me after I installed Universe 10.2 Personal
Most likely  - some conflict  with applications  working on
port 80/443 How to solve this problem?

I've written software that interfaces Skype to MV DBMS apps (IVR
inbound/outbound calls, and bots that process chat requests) and I've never
seen a conflict.  I'm pretty familiar with how Skype works and I can't
think of any socket or DLL conflicts... however...

UVPE might have updated the PATH environment variable in a way that a UV
version of some DLL is found before the version that Skype needs.  I don't
know what you installed but right click on your My Computer icon, then
Properties, Advanced, then Environment Variables.  Focus on the "Path"
System variable and click Edit.  Copy the value to Wordpad so that you can
see the whole string.  (Save the string somewhere in case you need to
recover.) Make sure that the following two strings are at the end, not the
beginning:
;C:\Program Files\IBM\UniDK\redist\i386\register
;C:\Program Files\IBM\UniDK\redist\i386\shared

Be sure to use the semicolon to delimit all values. If those paths are not
already there, don't add them, just move them if they are there.  Reboot
after saving back to the Edit box.

If that works and then Universe doesn't work, then you have a DLL conflict.
Notify IBM and please let us know here too.  (And welcome to DLL Hell!)

I don't thinkk this is an issue but if you're running Windows Firewall, be
sure Skype is listed as an Exception.  The path is probably:
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe

Here's another test:  Goto Services and stop the UniVerse Telnet Service.
If Skype suddenly starts working then I'd guess you have a bit of software
on your system that you don't know about which has opened a telnet server
attached to Skype (as in "malware").  Open Skype, go to Tools, Options,
Advanced, and way down at the bottom select "Manage other programs' access
to Skype".  If you don't see something you recognize, remove it, but I'd
check the Skype forum first to see if it's something common and benign.

HTH
Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com