I agree that a full reinstall isn't the right solution.

Helen wrote:
> c:\Program Files\ASUS Security Center\ASUS Security Protect
> Manager\bin...

Helen, the ASUS Security Protect Management (ASPM) screams "port blocking"
to me.  The fact that your browsers stopped working after you installed
Universe suggests something locked up a lot of your network access, not
just Skype.  If you aren't using biometric/fingerprint authentication, turn
off ASPM and see if that helps.  If you have anyone providing network
support you might want to ask them to see if there is some service running
in the background that prevents programs from opening ports for inbound and
outbound communications.  I'm fairly certain turning off one key service
will fix the problem.

Good luck,

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development