On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Robin Smith wrote:

> We use Universe with SB+ on both Windows and Unix.
>
> We have a customer who is looking to print documents to a colour laser
> printer that not only include normal textual output but also incorporate
> a grahical image embedded within the document.  The graphical image is
> variable per document and will be specified at run time and picked up
> from a link to an image file e.g. C:\images\picturexx.jpg.
>
> Has anyone any experience of doing this and is there any U2 specific
> software to facilitate the process?

Here are some other questions you might want to ask:

1) Will you want only one image per page (such as a company logo), or
multiple (a signature, pictures of products, etc.)?

2) What file formats (JPG, PNG, BMP) do you want to support?

3) How device-independent do you want this to be? That is, how many
different types of laser printer do you want to support now and in the
future?

4) Is it an option to modify the report output to specify the graphic(s),
or does this need to be done post-generation?

5) Is it an option to bring a Windows machine into the printing pipeline,
even if your U2 runs on Unix?

[Ad] We offer a printing tool called Print Wizard. While it is not U2
specific, or even MV specific, it is very powerful. It runs on a Windows
machine, but can accept data from a Unix machine. Running on Windows, it
has the advantage of being able to use the Windows printer driver, which
means it can output to virtually any printer, including Windows-only
printers. Its output is controlled by an HTML-like markup language, butit
also has some post-generation capabilities.

More data is ont he website below. Or catch my presentation at Spectrum
upcoming.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 company e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA