On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Marco Manyevere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>   Thank you all for all the responses.

Marco,

One last thought looking at your OP for a non-disk IO locking function, I
don't see how you can avoid disk IO unless there is some kind of of
in-memory locking process.

There may be a kernel option you could use but I'm not a c programmer so
can't say.  In bash I have seen a lot of the classic test/touch but this can
lead to race conditions and a symlink is a more robust solution.  However,
I'm not sure running a ln -s command at the OS level is going to be faster
than a readu (and I can't see from your posts if you are on a *nix platform
and even have that option).

So... in the best traditions of using a pile-driver to crack a nut you could
roll your own .

Of the top of my head, a locking service would be a U2 subroutine listening
on a particular network port that is started/stopped along with the DB.
Your client routines would use the socket functions to connect.  The nice
thing is you get the duplicate connection handling for free.  U2 socket
listeners are not multi-threaded so the first client in gets the socket.  As
long as you hold it for 1 clock tick before closing and have the other
clients on a time-out longer than 1 clock-tick, you should get your unique
keys.

I did mention this was over-kill right?

Although the code itself is pretty simple and, in my experience on Unidata,
the U2 sockets routines work very well, I would spend some time benchmarking
to make sure this kind of effort is worthwhile.  Assuming you have some
spare server capacity, if the phantoms are using a lock file on a frequent
basis, the file will likely be in cache anyway.

HTH but probably not.

Adrian