Perhaps a UniBasic program would be workable.

--Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Jeffrey Butera
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 11:26 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] Friday query logic

I can't get my head around the proper query logic on this Friday.

I have a FILE with mv FIELD containing strings.  I want to query records
where
at least one of the FIELD values doesn't begin with "SF..." or "SH...".

To be clear:  I don't want records if any of the following occurs:

FIELD = 'SF123'
FIELD = 'SH456'
FIELD = 'SF123':@VM:'SH456'

but I do want records if any of these occur:

FIELD='PQ789'
FIELD='SF123':@VM:'XY789'
FIELD='SF123':@VM:'SH456':@VM:'GH789'

----------------
I tried

SELECT FILE WITH FIELD UNLIKE "SF...""SH..."
and
SELECT FILE WITH FIELD UNLIKE "SF..." AND FIELD UNLIKE "SH..."

but those include records where FIELD='SF123':@VM:'SH456'.

Then I tried

SELECT FILE WITH NO FIELD LIKE "SF...""SH..."
and
SELECT FILE WITH NO FIELD LIKE "SF..." AND NO FIELD LIKE "SH..."

but that throws out records where FIELD='SF123':@VM:'SH456':@VM:'GH789'
which
I need to keep.  I've tried some others variants using 'EVERY' but to no
avail.

So, I'm as a loss short of writing a I-descriptor.  Anyone have their logic
cap on today?

--
Jeff Butera, Ph.D.
Administrative Systems

"Email gives the illusion of progress even when
   nothing is happening."  unknown