-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Butera
Sent: Saturday, 21 June 2008 3:26 a.m.
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] Friday query logic

I can't get my head around the proper query logic on this Friday.

I have a FILE with mv FIELD containing strings.  I want to query records
where at least one of the FIELD values doesn't begin with "SF..." or
"SH...".

To be clear:  I don't want records if any of the following occurs:

FIELD = 'SF123'
FIELD = 'SH456'
FIELD = 'SF123':@VM:'SH456'

but I do want records if any of these occur:

FIELD='PQ789'
FIELD='SF123':@VM:'XY789'
FIELD='SF123':@VM:'SH456':@VM:'GH789'

----------------
I tried

SELECT FILE WITH FIELD UNLIKE "SF...""SH..."
and
SELECT FILE WITH FIELD UNLIKE "SF..." AND FIELD UNLIKE "SH..."

but those include records where FIELD='SF123':@VM:'SH456'.

Then I tried

SELECT FILE WITH NO FIELD LIKE "SF...""SH..."
and
SELECT FILE WITH NO FIELD LIKE "SF..." AND NO FIELD LIKE "SH..."

but that throws out records where FIELD='SF123':@VM:'SH456':@VM:'GH789'
which I need to keep.  I've tried some others variants using 'EVERY' but
to no avail.

So, I'm as a loss short of writing a I-descriptor.  Anyone have their
logic cap on today?

--
Jeff Butera, Ph.D.
Administrative Systems

"Email gives the illusion of progress even when
   nothing is happening."  unknown
The information contained in this Internet Email message is intended
for the addressee only and may contain privileged information, but not
necessarily the official views or opinions of the New Zealand Defence Force.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or
distribute this message or the information in it.

If you have received this message in error, please Email or telephone
the sender immediately.