I was playing with a perl program that would use named pipes to
talk to a phantom, which would do the read/writing/selecting etc
and pass it back to the perl program again through a name pipe.

There would be a perl subroutines that would send/receive command
to the local perl listener, and convert the data into hased arrays
and varibles depending on what was used.

I stopped working with UV at the time, but now I'm back,so I'll most
likely finish that up.

Basically, the phantom program would track the files and records in use
  and lock if needed (and of course unlock after a set amount of time
  went by and not unlocked). It would have been kludgy, but it would
  have gotten the job done.

I was creating it so a website could access data directly from UV via
a .cgi

George