From: Brutzman, Bill
> 1. To me, it is a given that Microsoft encourages
> users to run the .net web apps on IE.

That's not accurate.  ASP.NET itself is browser/device
independent - when the browser connects to the server, the
appropriate code/controls are returned for the specific client.
The tables that determine the code that gets pushed out are open
for anyone to maintain, though I know of very few instances where
this required, desirable, or even discussed.

Further, .NET is not limited to ASP.NET.  Therefore, as I said,
you can use it as the communications pipe from Adobe Flex, PHP
and other completely non-.NET clients.

I'm sorry to turn people's notions of .NET upside down, but
someone has to because obviously Microsoft hasn't done a great
job of explaining .NET to a large number of people who still
believe many of the myths.  As just a couple examples:
- I read recently a statement that .NET is expensive.  That's not
correct - it's completely free for development and use.
- People tell me they don't use web services because they don't
like IIS.  .NET web services are not dependent on IIS or any
other web server.

> 2. Much as I like Microsoft, the MS "equivalent" of
> JEE, BizTalk server, is rather expensive.

This isn't related to .NET or IDEs, so while it may be true (no
clue) it's not a valid point for this discussion.

> WCF (Windows Communications Foundation) has a lot of
> beautiful features yet it has some major scaling
> limitations.  IBM WebSphere has a lot of advantages in
> this space.

That's sort of apples and oranges too.  Yes, WCF has scalability
issues and I won't argue for or against it.  But as a minimal
definition, WCF is a free component of the .NET Framework which
can allows inter-process communications with a few lines of code,
and WebSphere is a large commercial offering with a large set of
implementation details.

With reference back to my original statement a the top of this
posting, we can't properly discuss solutions when there is so
much mis-information in circulation.  I don't care particularly
whether someone likes or doesn't like .NET, Java, PHP, or the MV
DBMS model.  But when we assert whether some technology is good
or bad, or right or wrong for some task, we really need to make
sure it's for verifiable and context-specific reasons.  You won't
get a comment from me, for example if you say WCF is
inappropriate for internet usage as an inter-process
communications mechanism - that's what it was designed for, but
your opinion and experience about how it does the job are your
own.  You will get a comment from me if you say cars aren't as
good as unicycles because unicycles consume too much electricity.
Yeah, I know, that makes no sense for many reasons because we all
understand cars and unicycles and how they're intended for
different purposes.  When we're on the same page with .NET we can
have the same discussions.  When we're not on the same page about
the facts, it doesn't matter what anyone says because
pre-conceptions and mis-information preclude any point as being
compelling in any direction.

Sorry for the digression.

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development