If the value of SYSTEM(1999) is set to zero does that mean that this featured
is turned off and that the READU will wait however long it takes to get the
lock or does it mean it is set to the default 3600 waiting value ?

----- Original Message ----
From: Martin Phillips <martinphill...@ladybridge.com>
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Sent: Friday, March 20, 2009 1:01:07 PM
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Config parameter for the READU

Hi Jacques,

> I recall reading here a while back that there is a parameter
> in the (possibly in the uvconfig file) that determines how long
> READU will wait for a lock when it is taken by someone else.

There is but it is horrendous because, when it times out, the program takes the
ELSE clause so that it thinks it owns the lock. I have appended a copy of a
posting from Charles Stephenson on this topic back in 2002 below.

If you are looking for a simple timeout that effectively gives a delayed entry
to the LOCKED clause, there is no such feature though you can manufacture it
from other components.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton, NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200

=====

Cause: LOCK.WAIT param set to 0
       instead of default 3600 (seconds) during UV.LOGIN
Workaround: Set LOCK.WAIT to very large number.  E.g.:
             ASSIGN 86400 TO SYSTEM(1999)  (basic statement)
             SET.SQL LOCK.WAIT 86400       (tcl command)
(seconds).  This parameter says that if a LOCKED clause is missing, after
[LOCK.WAIT] seconds, then ignore the lock and proceed with the ELSE clause ! ?
! ? !

Until now, the workaround for this "feature" has been to turn off by setting
the parameter to 0, typically via
   ASSIGN 0 TO SYSTEM(1999)
typically from a program executed from UV.LOGIN, the routine in uv/VOC that
everyone hits when they enter the universe shell.