From: owner-u2-us...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:owner-u2-us...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Schasny
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 8:51 AM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] UV to SAP migration disaster

Unfortunately, its not always about the money. In many cases its about a
change of  leadership where the new guy on top wants his own personal
favorite software. I have been personally involved with at least 2
instances where a new CFO has insisted that the ERP solution with which
he/she/it is most familiar was instituted without regard for cost, ROI,
or the possibility of increased functionality. In another case a new CIO
insisted that a relational database (Informix in this case) was the only
way to go and after 5 years and 10+ million dollars they had managed to
replace the AR & AP modules with no new functionality, more than
quadruple the size of the IT department, and completely give up on the
idea of replacing the businesses core application (alarm monitoring)
because of the propensity for the new systems to crash on a regular basis.

I think it would be to our advantage if only businesses were in fact led
by rational intelligent people all the time but Enron, Global Crossings,
Bear Stearns, etc, etc, etc should be sufficient warning that they are not.