I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. After looking at what I wrote I can see why but
I think you answered my question.

Jerry Banker

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Dave Taylor
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 12:10 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Converting from mvBase to Universe

I'm not sure what you're asking, Jerry, but this may help.

The SP-ASSIGN commands differ in syntax between the generic Pick print
spooler and the Reality spooler, as follows:

Ex. (PickR syntax): SP-ASSIGN (options) (copies) F(queuenumber),
R(printfilenumber)

Ex. (RealityR syntax): SP-ASSIGN = (queuename) (options) (copies)

<AD> SpoolerPlusR supports both of these forms of the SP-ASSIGN
command.</AD>

Universe has its own form of SP.ASSIGN (SP-ASSIGN works also) command, and
their syntax is slightly different for Universe/nix vs Universe/doz
platforms and is unlike both the generic Pick and Reality syntax above.

I don't know if there is a difference between the syntax of the Universe
SP-ASSIGN command in a Pick-flavor account vs in a Reality-flavor account on

the same operating system.  There is no indication in the IBM documentation
of such difference based on the flavor of the account.

In Universe/nix: the documentation states "Use SP.ASSIGN to set the line
printer spooler options for each of the 256 logical print channels."

In Universes/doz: the documentation states "Use SP.ASSIGN to set the line
printer spooler options for Windows platform."

These differences are due to the fact that Universe/nix does have a spooler
that provides some ability to manage and control print jobs other than just
print them to the printer, where as Universe/doz has no spooler whatsoever
and prints directly to the doz printer, after which ofcourse you lose all
control over the print job from Universe.

In both cases, regardless of the platform, Universe prints to printers, not
to queues, and does not support the print architecture used in both Reality
and in other generic Pick databases (which afterall began with Reality) of
printing to queues and then printing from queues to printers, including all
the flexibilty of  holding/suppressing/both any print job, redirecting a
print job from one printer to another, using the same printer for multiple
print jobs with time to change paper before changing queues, listing and
managing all print jobs on hold, etc.

<AD> Changing the printing practices of an entire organization, including
rewriting printing procecedures, retraining personnel, expanding the number
of printers and serial/network connections and network support necessary to
implement a far less powerful and flexible print architecture is usually far

more costly than the license fee for a complete generic Pick print spooler
solution like SpoolerPlus.</AD>

If I didn't anwer your question, please rephrase it so maybe I'll understand

it.

hth,

Dave

Dave Taylor