We are setting up a networked UniVerse Windows 2008 server for future use
and coming from a long line of 'Nix processing systems I have some questions
about how database administration is handled from those that use a Windows
system. The users will all be entered through the network so I know I won't
have to worry about doing that any more but what about the other things like
file administration? I already know that there is no spooler anymore. Do you
use the UniAdmin much or is everything done from the command line? Do you
use a separate database administrator login to do database administration or
do you have to be the system administrator? The network administrator wants
to, understandably, lock the system down as tightly as possible without
shutting down the business so how far do you go? When resizing files do they
carry the same properties over or do they have to be reset? For those that
have moved from Linux to Windows, did you have to change any configuration
settings? I tested a short program that was recently bench marked by several
people on this list, building a dynamic array, and I was really surprised by
the difference in the speed between the various times reported and also my
own testing of our current Linux server and the new Windows server (0.6
seconds as opposed to 35 minutes). I reported the difference to my VAR and
they sent the results on the IBM. I'm thinking, hoping, that we will just
need to change some of the environment variables. I know I can ask my VAR
these questions but I want to get more of a consensus from the list.

Please let's not get caught up in the 'Nix/Windows battle J.

Jerry Banker

UV Project Leader

Senior Programmer Analyst

IBM Certified Solutions Expert