I don't mean to be Ms. Doom & Gloom, but I have to disagree with Chuck.
U2 has been headed towards a rest home for years. I've worked for
several end-users as well as a few U2 VAR's over the years, and it's
pretty apparent to me that it's on its way out. I'd really like to look
at this Rocket thing as a positive development, and say, "YEAH....this
is a GOOD THING", but I think it's time to strip off the rose-colored
glasses. The "ostrich with its head in the sand" thing doesn't work for
me any more.  I wish that wasn't the case, but it is. The three
companies that I have worked for since 2004 have either done away with
U2 already, or are currently in the process of doing so.

*         A HUGE multi-national wholesale distributor in the
mid-Atlantic region with THOUSANDS of users all over the US - Unidata -
they are moving to SAP.

*         A small division of ACS in Richmond, VA which doesn't bear
mentioning (handful of users) - U2 was phased out and its functionality
was replaced with SQL/SSIS.

*         A VAR with about a hundred government clients in TX & GA -
porting users to new .NET application over the next two years and
phasing UV out entirely.

These are three examples of a trend which is continuing all over the
country.  Changing jobs in the U2 world is like jumping from one lily
pad to another - no one (that I've seen) is planning to continue a long
term relationship with U2 any more.

Myself? I've gone back to school and I'm studying .NET development. Over
the next year or two, I'm going to bid UniBasic development a fond adieu
in favor of an application development

If Rocket wants people to pay maintenance, they will still have to port
to new O/S releases where needed, still have to offer upgrades with new
features, and still have to employ U2 support people.

I hate to point out the obvious but they don't have to do anything with
your maintenance fees other than provide support. Upgrades are not a
given.

Rocket does a lot of IBM mainframe work.

So does IBM.

So, Rocket offering UnIverse and UnIData to existing (read IBM mainframe
& mid-size) customers is not a big stretch.

IBM could've done this for years and didn't.

Rocket has a lot of people with ":Engineer" in their titles.

So does IBM.

Why is there an assumption that Rocket is going to do anything more than
IBM did with U2 (nothing)?

Karen Bessel
Software Developer

Tyler Technologies, Inc.
6500 International Parkway, Suite 2000
Plano, TX 75093
Phone: 972.713.3770 ext:6227
Fax: 972.713.3780
Email: karen.bes...@tylertech.com
Web: http://www.tylertech.com

Tyler is proud to be the Platinum Sponsor of
The Court Technology Conference 2009
Sept. 22-24, 2009 | Denver, CO