David,

I think your "problem" may be that you are logging only when you get a
request? If you were to have lines pre-logged-in, though the complexity
of the middleware increases, you may find a corresponding increase in
performance ... and with a little more effort you may also decide to NOT
kill a used connection immediately, 'cause if you get another request in
from the same client "soon", shouldn't be an issue using the previously
used connection (that is still open)

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage > Better by Design!