Hi Bill

I raised that there are 2 options, per user or per processor.  For a web
site you would select the per processor model.  I was generalizing licenses
and was trying to point out that licensing is complex for all platforms and
costs are not always as cheap as they may seem.  There are gotchas in all
databases that many users are not aware of.  I am aware that there is a
clampdown by database providers who are facing a sales slump and are going
through checking people have legitimately used their licenses and they are
finding breaches.  IBM's audit of U2 licenses related to pooling would have
coincided with audit checks of other IBM databases.  One vendors license
agreement allows the vendor to walk into sites for inspections and audits
are at the clients costs.  There are suppliers who believe they are losing
up to 30% of their revenue to breaches of licenses so this is not a minor
issue to them.

However the main point I was raising was that we needed to find a middle
position on pooling where both IBM and the customer were getting a fair
price for license use.  What have people done to raise the problems with
licensing at IBM.  We have a user group and the Better and Better site.  If
there is a better alternative to licensing for pooling, then let us put a
business case together and present it rather than just complaining.  U2 does
not want to lose sites to another vendor because the licensing model does
not work.

I know that the issues of SAAS has been raised with IBM and if my memory
serves me correct, I believe that IBM realised there was a problem and
suggested that such situations should be discussed with them to find a
solution.

Regards

David Jordan