Hi, sorry for the out-of-the-blue OT to a forum I haven't posted to
in several years, but it is to do with a long-time U2 et al techie
that some of you knew in the Southern Caliornia area.

***

Good morning,

it is with regret, but also relief, that I pass on that Systems Theory
band-member, long-time Multi-Value/dbms programmer and computer
teacher Greg Amov died last night after a hard few months battling
cancer for the second time. Some of you may recall that he had
esophageal cancer three years ago. Eventually it came back, became
systemic, and it was the cancer that had spread to his brain that took
him away from us.

Amidst the turmoil and sorrow of his death, I'd like to say that it
was very peaceful and quiet at his end, which was a relief after all
the physical struggle of the last few weeks. It was clear to everyone
around him during the afternoon that it would be sometime Tuesday, so
his family convened to be with him. His wife was at his side when the
final breath was taken.

I do not yet know exactly what sort of memorial there will be, or when
/ where it will be held. But something appropriate to Greg's life and
beliefs will be organized soon. I will pass on that information when I
have it.

Thanks to all that contacted the family through me and through Systems
Theory to express hope, support, sympathy, wishes for a speeding
passing, etc. That various branches of the progressive music
community, and those that he worked with closely on recent programming
projects, had been in touch with me meant a great a deal to Greg.
Hundreds of emails, text messages and comments were posted to various
forums in his final weeks, and that he was so well-regarded and
admired means a great deal to me personally as his best friend of 32
years.

In the midst of the sadness of his passing, let me add a bright note.
Last night I got access to Greg's pair of music computers (named
"Fripp" and "Eno" after two stellar musicians he admired). Everything
that I could have hoped to find musically was there -- the masters for
his two OOP CDs were there, plus several unreleased completed
projects, some long-forgotten projects, and new tunes earmarked for
both solo, Systems Theory and ViolinCyndee. So there will be new music
under his name in the next year or so, as well as the re-release of
wonderful "The Dark Within The Dark" (2001) and "Gecko Highway" (2005)
albums.

Gregory Michael Amov, b. Nov 6th 1959, d. Nov 3rd 2009, RIP.
Systems Theory music project: <www.systemstheory.net>
on GarageBand: <www.garageband.com/systemstheory>
on CDBaby: CDBaby <www.cdbaby.com/all/systemstheory>
NP: nowt