The problem with using email to sms is that at least in Sprint's case, they do
monitor message traffic. During one weekend when one of my connections into a
Dallas datacenter bounced a couple times, and my Atlanta nagios system saw it
and sent messages, Spring decided it was spam... They blacklisted the sender
(of course without letting me know) and the alert then went into a black hole.
The following real problem, no messages went out. Fortunately the nagios
systems also email me directly. I saw those a little while later. When I
contacted customer service about the sms messages not reaching. Their reply was
email to sms was not guaranteed, nor supposedly could they investigate why it
happened. It wasn't until I pushed the issue that someone decided it was
possible to find out what happened. Sure enough a simple test of changing the
nagios' from email address confirmed it was blacklisted. They could not (or
would not) whitelist an email for me.

I looked it up... I use Clickatell's Central service (they have numerous
options) and  pay $26.16 for 400 sms credits, which lasts me 6+ months for
several servers having dozens of virtualized servers and 100's processes (load,
users, disk space, raid, etc) monitored from 2 separate nagios systems.
Messages can be sent by: HTTP/S SMTP COM OBJECT XML FTP SMPP SOAP   and there
is a message callback feature to check message delivery if you need to be
absolutely sure it got there. I've yet to have a clickatell sms message not get
through.

Robert

Robert F. Porter, MCSE, CCNA, ZCE
Lead Sr. Programmer / Analyst
Laboratory Information Services
Ochsner Health System

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your
system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission
by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.