Redhat quite often comes with both the 32bit and 64bit libraries and you
need to ensure your compiler is pointing to the correct one.  I am not sure
if the 64bit udt install uses 32 or 64 bit libraries.

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Butera
Sent: 23 February 2010 20:46
To: U2 Users List
Subject: [U2] 32 vs 64 bit

So we've got a new RedHat 64bit machine running unidata 7.2.2 which is
super fast as compared to our old Solaris (unidata 7.1.8) box.  That said,
when trying to compile a C program using Intercall library (libuvic.a) I
get this on the new server:

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/ud72/lib/libuvic.a when searching
for -luvic

I'm assuming this is a 32 vs 64 bit mismatch.

I assumed that the libraries for unidata would be 64 bit, but perhaps my
assumption was bad.  Am I thinking correctly?

And can I assume I'll have to force 32 bit mode to get this to compile?

Jeff Butera, Ph.D.
Manager of ERP Systems
Hampshire College
jbut...@hampshire.edu
413-559-5556

"What's life for anyway? It's for having fun. Not
  for going out with your parents and doing dumb stuff..."
                  Catherine Butera