> When Microsoft first released Silverlight -  the first books were from
Microsoft themselves, the others quickly followed.

You have just highlighted the essential difference between books and
software..

Software is a single sale: you buy that product from the manufacturer and
don't buy a rival product to do the same thing.

That's not true with books - to take the Silverlight example, I have half a
dozen different books on Silverlight on my shelves, each offering a
different perspective and level of detail. Personally I've always found the
microsoft press books rushed and full of errors, but I still buy them for
the few useful nuggets they will hold, generally before the better written
ones come out :)

But all these things go hand in hand:

We need new blood if we are going to support authors - since the hairy old
MV developers won't be the ones buying books even though they can help bring
their skills up to date with the new features in the products or up to date
techniques. (It's the old 'this technology is easy so I shouldn't have to
pay out for what I can work out by myself' argument - even though it's
cheaper in the long run to get the advice rather than sacrifice paid time to
do it yourself. See also: 'Not invented here syndrome').

But to attract that new blood, we need the publications and educational
materials in place to tell them about the technology in the first place.

Which is why the incubator project at the U2UG is such an important piece in
this discussion. And why I will inevitably keep banging on about it for the
next 12 months - you have been warned <grin>.

Brian