It's worth mentioning that NebulaXLite does exactly what Brian
describes, but without the developer needing to touch the XML.  I
manage all of that so that the developer just works with BASIC
arrays containing data and style info.  The process of creating a
spreadsheet is similar to creating a report in a BASIC program,
with header, detail, subtotals, and totals.  And of course
multiple spreadsheets are combined into a workbook (which you
don't get with CSV exports).

Also as Brian describes, the developer creates styles as normal
dynamic arrays, with features like bold text, grey background,
double borders on left and right - and then the style can easily
be applied to any cells.  The product also includes a utility
that extracts styles from existing Excel documents.  So you can
design the visual aspects of your sheet visually, generate the
styles, and then use these without having to manually create them
(which is part of the learning process that David mentioned).

I will note that this is a Lite product, and it does not
(yet/ever?) allow BASIC to create documents with features that
were not supported by the original SpreadsheetML schema.  That
includes charts, macros, and UI components.  If there is enough
demand I may create a new non-Lite product that has features
supported by newer XML specs.

HTH

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/products/xlite.htm