From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Kevin King
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2010 9:09 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] [ud] Unidata as a SQL Server "Linked Server" via OLEDB

And just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water...

This issue is NOT resolved.  My customer has found that there is ZERO
way to
get the IBM UniOLEDB driver working in SQL Server.  They had it working
temporarily using the Microsoft ODBC -> OLEDB driver, but that's not
working
100%.

With the IBM UniOLEDB driver configured as a linked server, no
connection to
the backend Unidata is possible.  The connection itself fails.  Using
the
Microsoft ODBC -> OLEDB driver, the connection works sometimes, but not
reliably.  Under certain circumstances (using the Microsoft driver) this
message will appear:

"Error: Description = Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB
provider ""MSDASQL"" for linked server ""PSI"". (Microsoft SQL Native
Client
(80040e14): The OLE DB provider ""MSDASQL"" for linked server ""PSI""
reported an error. The provider reported an unexpected catastrophic
failure.); Source = Microsoft SQL Native Client; Code =
-2147217900","4/14/2010 9:53:32 PM","4/14/2010 9:53:34 PM","0"

So to start with the obvious question, does ths IBM UniOLEDB driver
just...
not work at all?

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 12:51 PM, Kevin King <precisonl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We've worked out this issue.
>
> It appears that - at least in this case - the OLE DB connection being
used
> by SQL Server was in fact using the ODBC data source as defined on
that Win
> box.  The ODBC data source, however, was setup to connect to a
specific
> database (account) and SQL Server was attempting to override it with a
path
> to a different account.  That override apparently doesn't work so
well.  So
> we created a new ODBC connection that points to the right account and
SQL

--
-Kevin
http://www.PrecisOnline.com