Harold

Forgive me if I take this step by step.

A JPEG is a compressed image format, one that is understood by Windows and
some other platforms. But it's not understood directly by printers. You can
convert it to a bitmap (in fact, Windows does this internally when it
renders it) which represents an image as a series of bits, with the header
defining how those bits make up the image: the size of the image, the number
of bits required to represent each color, possible color map etc. But the
only reason Windows understands that this is an image, is because it looks
at the file extension and because it can read and interpret the header and
content. So Windows will display it.

Windows will also print it, because it runs printers in graphics mode over a
subsystem called GDI (Graphics Device Interface). This effectively defines
an API through which Windows can make its font and graphics calls, such as
Rectangle, Ellipse, DrawText and image placement. Each printer driver is
responsible to translating these calls into whatever underlying instructions
make sense to that style and make of printer.

In other words, the printer itself does not generally understand the same
image formats as Windows. Only the printer driver understands those and
converts them into something the printer will understand.

Now to add to the confusion, printers generally run in either text mode or
graphics mode. Windows runs your printers in graphics mode so any font, for
example, is actually rendered as the picture of the font. UniVerse, being
text based, runs the printer in text mode so that you need escape sequences
like PCL to do primitive font handling and line printing operations - just
like a terminal.

But unless you want to play with the raster formats in PCL, or roll your own
instructions in the graphics language, if you want to print images you need
to either:

a) print the image under Windows and capture the output from the driver that
would normally be streamed to the printer. This is possible but you can't
then easily modify it.

b) use some translation software that can be driven from UniVerse but
actually renders images, fonts etc under Windows (or equivalent). mvPDF and
PrintWizard will both do that, as may other software.

Brian