Hi all,

I am on a UniVerse client site trying to move an application with a vast number of dynamic files, some indexed, from UV 10.1.18 on a Sun Solaris box to UV 10.3.6 on a Red Hat Linux Intel box.

The data files were moved with tar and byte order conversion was done using
  find . -type f -exec fnuxi {} \;

This appeared to work but, on testing the application today, it now seems that it skipped quite a few files along the way. Given that fnuxi is supposed to ignore files that don't need conversion, I simply ran the process again. It hung after converting a number of files, looping at 100% cp.

In an attempt to make this restartable, I created a shell script with each file as a separate fnuxi command. Again, this works for a while and then hangs. At each hang, I note the failing file, remove everything down to that point from the script and try again. The hangs are so often that this has become unworkable (there are about 400,000 files in the list).

Repeating the fnuxi for a failing file sometimes fails again and sometimes works ok. I have also seen it fail with a segmentation fault.

Some of the hangs are on the data files, some are on indices. I have even used filepeek to walk through a failing file looking for ideas about why it hangs.

So, has anyone experienced the same problem and, far more importantly, has anyone got a fix or an alternative suggestion of how to move this system?

Thanks.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton, NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200