This was for diagnosing what happened. Access to the file is generally
programmatically controlled. VERY few of us actually have access to edit a
record directly. And from what I can find no one edited the record via TCL. The
change was fairly benign and easily corrected, but the fact that the handful of
people who have such access all said they didn't touch it prompted an
investigation.  I've been able through other means to pinpoint a 30 minute
window when the record got changed. I also know it was not done though our menu
system by the logfile that even less know it exists, and only 2 of us even know
where it lives.  I'm also currently running a search on the equate for the
changed field in the record to see if a program that shouldn't be updating it
is out there. Next will be looking for a write without using the equate deck.

I've done some trials with using a trigger on another file. However, the
performance hit was unacceptable. I'm hoping to revisit triggers after a
pending OS and UV upgrade.  I hadn't heard of the index idea before... that's a
pretty cool thought. I may play with that.

Thanks all for the input.
Rob

On 20/08/10 15:08, Robert Porter wrote:
> Are TCL command histories stored in a file by any chance?  I'm trying to find
> how a record got updated, and it doesn't appear to have gone through our
> standard program which updates the record with a who/when timestamp.
You can do it with an i-descriptor, or a trigger ... you can force a
file to log that info. So it doesn't matter HOW the file is updated, the
info will be recorded.

What you want to do is either create an update trigger that adds the
date, time and user to the record, or create an i-descriptor that calls
SUBR() to write key, date, time and user to another file. If you go down
the i-descriptor route, declare that field as an index, and it will be
updated every time the record is updated.

Cheers,
Wol