On 10/1/2010 5:09 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
  On 01/10/10 20:15, George Gallen wrote:
Since we have upgraded our server, moving over to CUPS from lpd/lpr, if we send
30 or 40 jobs to the printer, they come out in some crazy sequence.

Anyone know how to tell cups to print things in the order received?

The documentation doesn't seem to be much use, does it? :-)

I notice it has a "set priority" option, which will make some jobs print
in front of others. And ages ago, the Prime spooler used to prioritise
jobs based on size. Does any of that make sense to you?

If you can guestimate the reason behind that "crazy sequence", that'll
help work out what's going on. Next time, look in the CUPS log and see
if it printed in job number order - probably not, but if it did then
that says something's not behaving as expected with job numbering.

Might you be expecting them to print in the order they were completed
and sent, but they're printing in the order they were started?

Cheers,
Wol