From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of George Gallen
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 1:21 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] CUPS printing and sequence of jobs

it's a Canon Imagerunner copier/printer with it's own "pc" acting as a
server.
I'm not really sure what OS it's running, I don't think it's windows.

I'm submitting lpd protocol to it, directly to it's IP

I switched our side so that cups sends to a Windows PC running RPM lpd
server,
   and RPM then sends the raw data to a windows network printer (same
copier/server)
   except it's getting it's jobs through the networks windows printer
server, and
   the jobs print as expected.

So, it's definitely in the Canons PC's lpd server specifically.

This all sounds great..and solved, EXCEPT, we have found another little
issue
with cups, it seems when the lpd server is busy, cups triggers the printer
queue
to disable (ErrorPolicy stop-printer), which is extremely annoying to have
keep reenabling the queue when you send a flurry of jobs. So we changed it
so the
ErrorPolicy retry-job instead, now it doesn't take the queue offline,
instead now
it just doesn't send a job to the server, but still deletes it from it's
queue.

So....Until I can get this lost job issue solved, looks like I have choices:

1. Look into changing from lpd protocol (port 515) to Ipp protocol (port
9100) (next attempt)
2. See if the server's admin can set something so the lpd server does FIFO
3. have fun sorting printed jobs back into their correct order!