Found the issue.  Apparently in this version of SB+ when you WRITE something
to a file in a paragraph, SB+ opens the file to a buffer variable that it
holds open until the paragraph terminates.  So when the paragraph (with the
WRITE) called the DELETE.WORK.FILE routine, the calling paragraph had the
file open and UV wouldn't delete it.

The fix in this case is that we will now run all our work file stuff through
a wrapper that opens the work file, calls the SB+ process that needs the
work file, and when that process returns we'll close the work file and then
delete it.  That looks like it's going to work very well.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth; posting the solution now to hopefully help
someone else someday.