On 2/8/2011 10:30 AM, Steve Romanow wrote:
On 2/8/2011 10:28 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
On 07/02/11 21:00, Steve Romanow wrote:
Now, as I've said recently, we can immediately build our own
external language bindings with no help from any of the DBMS
providers.  Unfortunately this option leaves us to connect in via
the above methods, and no matter how fast that happens, it's
subject to a performance hit.  A much more elegant solution would
be an API that dynamically links with the DBMS monitor to perform
"direct" read/write/call and other operations.  Maybe someone can
tell us if the UO server component really is this "closer to the
metal" interface, but it's always seemed to me that even that
server component is one step and a performance hit away from
direct DBMS access.  With such an API (and direct access for file
open/read/write, etc) just about any language can be implemented
"inside the box", again with no help from the DBMS provider(s).

I'm guessing we could count on two hands how many people might
actually be intensely interested in any of this.

I think I will be tinkering with this soon. I have to believe Intercall should give the best perfomance available, since it is at the lowest level.
LibreOffice is looking for a new database ... my problem is finding
time, but I'd love to write a new NF2 database for it :-)

What sort of impact is an MV database going to have if it goes into
something like that :-) Contact me off-line if you want to muck in :-)

Cheers,
Wol

  It's available on AIX for PPC-64 based on the home page.

GlenB