Because I am no longer a significant user of UniData as I once was, I
will pipe up on this question about what I see as the most important
role of the U2UG. When the idea came to me to work with folks to get
this off the ground, my thinking was that it would be useful to have
such an organization to try to get more visibility for MultiValue in
general. Because U2 was under the wing of IBM, if we were going to get
some better visibility as a branch of the DBMS industry, the most
likely resources for such would come from IBM, having more than 70% of
the MV installed base (at least that was a figure I saw at one point,
perhaps even 75%). So, the biggest reason for me was raising the
visibility of what was then relegated to Gartner's "embedded database"
category.

Now that we have the NoSQL folks out there, I think we should be
playing ball with them, getting MV to be one category of NoSQL or
YesNoSQL for those MV products that do support SQL. Because I now use
Cache' I wish I had not married this organization solely to IBM. At
the time I figured that Revelation and jBASE/mPower were also third
party providers in the U2 space, so that if we built up from U2 to the
entire space, it would not be that difficult. Oddly enough, I now do
not feel I can be part of the U2UG to any great extent simply because
of the angle that initially I selected and the name that our initial
board selected.

I would like to see the U2UG look in a bigger way at MultiValue
industry affiliations and how our niche of the industry can play ball
and be more visible and figure out how to play with industry
organizations outside of the MV space as well as within. Just my two
cents.   --dawn
--
Dawn M. Wolthuis

Take and give some delight today

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 7:13 AM, David Jordan <da...@dacono.com.au> wrote:
<snip>

> These are my thoughts to some of the issues raised.
>
> *What do you see as the most important role of the U2UG?
> The U2UG plays a number of important roles to empower users to develop their
> skills, improve their career opportunities, spread the message and enhance
> the U2 products. Some of the issues that I have worked on within the user
> group has included working to open the U2 knowledge base that had been
> previously been restricted to licensed users, in lobbying management in IBM
> and Informix to recognise the U2 technology and issues such as connection
> pooling and better documentation.  These were made possible by showing
> solidarity of a passionate group of users.

<snip>