Wait, why can't you add a new column to a table in MySQL or SQL Server?

Putting aside the RDMS arguments, (*apart from familiarity*) why wouldn't
you use something like MongoDB or CouchDB, which are accessible from more
programming environments, over U2?  They offer the same schema flexibility
and disk space benefits you cite with U2 and so much more.

MongoDB, for instance, has built-in mechanisms for auto-sharding,
replication, REST API, full-text index, and I can go on and on.  And it's
FREE! :-)

I can't speak to performance, but I'd love to benchmark MongoDB versus U2.
 Maybe I will.

I know I sound like a MongoDB fanboy, but I think it's a straight-up U2
killer.  I challenge anyone to find an area where U2 beats it.

-Rob