I don't think the flavor of DB is a great indicator of whether you need a
dedicated DBA role.  Scale of deployment is probably a far better indicator.

If we're talking about personnel costs -- have you ever been able to hire a
college freshman for $20 bucks an hour who already has 2 years of U2 under
his belt from building WordPress sites?  The point being that there is much
more qualified MySQL and SQL Server talent available than U2 talent.

Also, DBs like MySQL are battle tested.  You'll rarely find a core bug in
MySQL if you're using a stable version.  Why?  Because hundreds of thousands
of developers are using it and thus finding the bugs (likely) before they
hit you.  When I was working with U2 every day, we consistently found and
were affected by core bugs.  Costly ones, too.

-Rob