Chris,
I agree with Bill, using an index is your best solution. Are you able to apply
any kind of filter criteria to the names? If not here's one of your dilemmas...
If you make your drop down list too small nobody will use it because it will
take too long to get to anyone beyond the A's. If you make it too long it will
be cumbersome to find someone on the page and the build time of the drop down
list on the client side may be too slow. I strongly recommend, from experience,
using something other than a dropdown list, even using a combo box list allows
the user to provide some criteria to narrow the search.
Hth
Curt Stewart