Michael,

It may help to put a packet-sniffer (wireshark) on your network to see
what packets are being exchanged when the vendor app attempts to
connect to uvtelnetd.  The requests/responses may help to determine
the problem.  It may also help to compare the traffic between the
working (windows) and non-working (linux) connections.

rex