I do an additional archival backup with "cp" at the linux OS level
before and after our month-end batch processing since that's the data we
typically have to refer back to.  I bought a 4TB iomega NAS appliance
that was relatively inexpensive just for this purpose.  The archive
share is NFS mounted on the UV server.  We're fortunate enough to have
times outside normal business hours when UV is relatively quiescent so I
don't have to pause the database.  The cp command gets executed within a
UV program at the beginning and end of the batch process:

PRINT '[SU0011] Creating archive directory'
EXECUTE 'SH -c "mkdir ':MOUNT.POINT:'/':DIR.NAME:'"'
PRINT '[SU0011] Archiving FABRIC.PROD at ':OCONV(TIME(),'MT')
EXECUTE 'SH -c "cp -r ':@PATH:' ':MOUNT.POINT:'/':DIR.NAME:'"'
PRINT '[SU0011] Archival completed at ':OCONV(TIME(),'MT')
PRINT '[SU0011] Archival completed at ':OCONV(TIME(),'MT')
PRINT '[SU0011] Removing write permissions'
EXECUTE 'SH -c "chmod -R ugo-w ':MOUNT.POINT:'/':DIR.NAME:'"'
PRINT '[SU0011] All actions completed at ':OCONV(TIME(),'MT')

The DIR.NAME variable contains the current month and year, so it was
very easy to write a utility that non-admin UV programmers can use to
access archive data on the NFS share just by supplying a month, year,
and file name.

-John