If a user has a file open and there is no index created on the file, if another
user creates an index on the file - the first user will not know that an index
has been created (and the bit in the primary file header updated to indicate
that - the number of indexes on the file). So updates to the file will not
update the index until that first user closes and reopens the file.
Characteristics about the file are stored in a udt's process private memory
when the process first opens the file (inode/dnode, index count, etc).

In terms of building...
There is BUILD.INDEX ONLINE that can be used to build while users have the file
open - assuming they already know there are indexes created (whether or not
they are built).

So (in general) - when you say 'rebuilt', you need to be specific about the
steps taken.
DELETE.INDEX WO ALL?
CREATE.INDEX WO FIELD1 FIELD2?
BUILD.INDEX WO ALL?

Wally Terhune
U2 Support Architect
Rocket Software
4600 South Ulster Street, Suite 1100 **Denver, CO 80237 **USA
Tel: +1.720.475.8055
Email: wterh...@rs.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com/u2