We use this for a Universe driver... Maybe this is too much info for you...
And this was written by another gentleman for AIX, basic line printer
printing with System V printing.

All of the internals I do not fully understand without more reading and
refreshing my memory.

# cat /usr/spool/uv/uv.drv
#!/bin/sh
#
# Printer driver for UniVerse applications to record each print job.
#
#
# UniVerse sends options along with the print file. This script captures
# relevant information and creates a log entry for each print job.
#
#
# Modified to do the awk on all print streams
#
# $1 = login userid
# $2 = UniVerse queue jobnumber
# $3 = size of the file in bytes
# $4 = Print file name from UniVerse (from editor, not valid for SORT)
# $5 = UniVerse form queue number
# $6 = UniVerse spool queue name
# $7 = columns width from setptr
# $8 = rows on page from setptr
# $9 = a 1 looks like it might be the print mode
# $10 - $15 = 80 through 85 probably not used

UVUID=$1
JOBNUM=$2
JOBSIZE=$3
JOBNAME=$4
FORMQ=$5
PRINTNAME=$6
JOBCOL=$7
JOBROW=$8

cpi=10
lpi=6
landscape=0

TUSER=`cut -f1,2,3,4 -d":" /etc/passwd | /bin/grep "!:$UVUID:" |
/usr/bin/awk -F : '{print $1}`

# logger -p local2.info "print $UVUID bx.drv -- $JOBNUM $JOBSIZE $FORMQ
# $PRINTNAME $JOBCOL $JOBROW $TUSER"
# logger -p local2.info "print $UVUID ts.drv -- $JOBNUM $JOBSIZE $FORMQ
$PRINTNAME $JOBCOL $JOBROW $TUSER"

lpcmd=""

case "$PRINTNAME" in
#       ACCT)
#       cpi=17
#       lpi=8
#       landscape=1
#       ;;
        *)
        lpcmd=""
        ;;
esac

if [[ $cpi -eq 17 ]]
then
        lpcmd="$lpcmd -o cpi=17"
fi
if [[ $lpi -eq 8 ]]
then
        lpcmd="$lpcmd -o lpi=8"
fi
if [[ $landscape -eq 1 ]]
then
        lpcmd="$lpcmd -o landscape"
fi

gawk '{printf "%s\r\n",$0}' - | lp -d $PRINTNAME $lpcmd

--
John Thompson