Sorry John,

        I dropped the ball on that one, I was indeed aware of that, and yes got
past this entire portion months ago w/ my vendor.  I installed the 11.1.x
client that is 64-bit on the 64-bit server, the download was a Nov 2011
release, and as best as I know the newest thing I was back out a little bit ago
and didn't see anything newer I could try.  As stated ODBC would be fine if
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 allowed that... when I tried the old Connection
string I was using in an OpenDataSource directly I was getting an error about a
single threaded apartment model not being valid.  That led me to believe my
install was messed up and found the DLL was not even present in the correct
place, and more hours of fun ;)

        The "older" string that the other machine uses returns an error like:
Msg 7308, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

OLE DB provider 'IBM.UniOLEDB' cannot be used for distributed queries because
the provider is configured to run in single-threaded apartment mode.

        ... and ... doesn't actually show up as a provider anyway, so I was
reaching.

Thank you for the feedback,

John J. Wahl
Employee Owner