Here's some background that might help:

The backspace key on a keyboard can be configured (in most terminal
emulators) to send either ctrl-H (hex-08) or DEL (hex-7F).

On the Linux system, the 'stty' command displays and configures how
certain keys are recognized. For instance, on my Linux system, at the
shell, if I enter
   stty -a
(where the "-a" is for "all"), I get:
speed 38400 baud; rows 32; columns 100; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>; eol2
= <undef>;
swtch = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase =
^W; lnext = ^V; flush = ^O;
min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon
-ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
-iutf8
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0
vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo -echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop
-echoprt echoctl echoke
The "intr = ^C" indicates that control-C is to be recognized as the
interrupt key, and "erase = ^?" indicates that DEL is to be recognized as
the erase (backspace) key. (While it is pretty obvious that "^C"
represents control-C, the "^?" is a special case.)

You can also use the 'stty' command to change these settings. See the
output of
   man stty
for more information.

Finally, note that "break" is not really a character. It's a special
condition known as a signal. Usually in a network connection these days,
it is not even in play.

Hope that helps.

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Bob Little wrote:

> I know someone asked about this recently but I cannot locate the thread that
> provided the solution.
>
> I have UV PE set up here on Linux.  If I am in the UV account and LOGTO
> my development account, I get the Rocket banner then I'm at TCL.  At
> this point, any time the backspace key is pressed, it sends a break
> signal instead of the backspace character.
>
> This only happens if I LOGTO this account from any other account.  I can
> change to the account's directory and invoke a uv session right from there
> and everything is fine.
>
> Anyone know what the solution is?
>
> Thanks,
>
> bob little

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: r...@anzio.com
 company e-mail: r...@anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA