Sorry that I missed the original post. Here's another approach to
consider.

AnzioWin, our terminal emulator, contains two features that can address
this need. First, we have bidirectional AUX support compatible with the
terminals we emulate. You would attach the scale (or other serial device)
to any Windows serial port on the associated PC. Then configure Anzio for
this port. In operation, your host program would send out one escape
sequence to go into bidi AUX mode, then send data to and read data from
the device, then send out another escape code sequence. Note that the
program reading the scale must be programmed specifically for this
application.

The second feature is called "backchannel aux". We allocate another
channel within an SSH session for bidirectional serial communication. A
PTY is assigned on the host end. On the PC end, we connect the backchannel
to a specified COM port. On the host end, a program that does I/O to a pty
port works without modification. Because all communication is over SSH, it
is authenticated and encrypted.

More info on request.

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Robert Porter wrote:

> I suspect not with this in the OP:  "What I would like to do is network a
> scale in our receiving department."
>
> Most places don't put the UV/UD box in receiving.  At least I HOPE not. :)
>
> Robert F. Porter, MCSE, CCNA, ZCE, OCP-Java
> Lead Sr. Programmer / Analyst
> Laboratory Information Services
> Ochsner Health System

> please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your
> system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this

> That's why I asked. For all we know it could also be 10 feet away.

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: r...@anzio.com
 company e-mail: r...@anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA