Certainly the dimensioned array over dynamic would be beneficial in this
situation whenever possible.  Unfortunately, this only applies to your
custom code Dave, as the SB+ stuff and the stuff written by Prelude is
going to continue using the dynamic array access.  In your custom code, you
might be able to eek out some gains by separating the multivalued fields
you're using out to single attributes, update the single attributes, and
then replace the attributes in the record from the single attribute
variables.

Whether the file is dynamic or static will certainly play a part, with
dynamic files almost always performing worse than static hashed files.  In
my opinion [flame suit on] the only reason to use dynamic files in Unidata
is to breach the 2G limit.  There is no appreciable performance reason for
using dynamic files, unless of course you simply want the application to
perform worse than it would with a static hashed file.  Especially with
split load at 10% - you're going to split the group when it's 10% full of
keys.  That said, I can't really think of anything better except to not use
a dynamic file.

-K