*From:* ggal...@wyanokegroup.com
*To:* U2 Users List <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
*Date:* 6/21/2012 8:20 PM
*Subject:* Re: [U2] UV Unix File Recovery
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Wols Lists
[antli...@youngman.org.uk]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:56 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org

On 21/06/12 16:53, George Gallen wrote:
We use rdiff-backup for onsite backups, it creates a mirror and keeps
differential for
Restoring to specific backup date images (although that is a file by file).
How easy is it to get back to any particular date? Disk space is cheap
(though network bandwidth isn't, if big files get modified). Not saying
my way is better, but it gives the appearance of multiple full backups,
while only doing an incremental copy.

      http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

      Multiple full backups would only occur if you used a backup method to
backup the mirror,
         (excepting the directory which holds the incremental files).

      To restore a file, you can specify an exact date/time or an estimated
date (ie. 3d ago)
      It also has a pruning utility if you need to free up disk space, by
deleteing older incrmental info

      It actually does a fairly good job at only saving the changes, even to
big files.
We run our nightly backups off the mirror

And update the mirror every 20 minutes - except while the backup runs
Yup - on the main server itself, I'd probably run mirrored disks, break
the mirror to do the backup, and then resync the mirror.

       In my case, I don't "break" the mirror, as it's not a real time mirror,
it's an every 20 minute
       mirror. When I run my tape backup on the mirror, I disable the every 20
minute run
       until it's done, then restart the mirroring.

The mirror can be on the same system, SAN or another network
Hmmm... If you can network the mirror, could you mirror it onto that
self-same linux box?

Mirror the live disk onto the linux box, break the mirror to do a local
(probably cross-drive) backup, then resume the mirror. Rinse, repeat, etc.

     Yup, you can mirror onto itself. Just like tar, you can specify
directories to not mirror
     like the directory that holds the mirror, and anything else you don't want
mirrored.

Rdiff-backup I believe will work between a linux box and windows

Do you really want to spend loads of money on a Windows system just to
provide a cheap back-up server? And if the main server is hp-ux, it's
easier to keep everything within the nix family.

     Personally, I'd prefer *nix to *nix, but I thought the OP was going from
Windows UV
to *nix UV.

Cheers,
Wol