Hi Satya:

An I-descriptor is the same as an I-type (or a V-type).

It's like a little program in the DICT (dictionary) of a file.  It can
do very complex things, but quite often is used for very simple things,
but those simple things can be quite helpful.  Here is an example-

In the DICT of the INMATE file there are D-types for last name, first
name, and middle name, which are LNAME, FNAME, and MNAME.
Now, one can see a listing of inmate names by typing:

LIST INMATE LNAME FNAME MNAME

and get this:

INMATE    NAME................    FIRST NAME....    MIDDLE NAME
 86144    JOHNSON                  PHILLIP
779501    THOMAS                   ERNEST            ROBERT
192814    SMITH                    THOMAS            DEAN
204251    TOONSDALE                PAUL              JAMES

However, this takes up a lot of space for each name with the three names
combining for 45 characters.  To save space, let's create an I-type to
put the last, first, and middle names together as one field:
ED DICT INMATE FULLNAME
This is a Type "I" Descriptor last compiled on 02/08/12 at 15:38.
0001: I
0002: LNAME:', ':FNAME:' ':MNAME
0003:
0004: FULL NAME
0005: 25L
0006: S

You see in field 2 is that the three parts of the name are concatenated
together, with a comma after the last name.  This makes the display much
shorter and works well for most anyone's name:
INMATE    FULL NAME...............

 86144    JOHNSON, PHILLIP
779501    THOMAS, ERNEST ROBERT
192814    SMITH, THOMAS DEAN
204251    TOONSDALE, PAUL JAMES

The field now is only 25 characters in display width, but only a few
person's names will exceed 25 characters and need to wrap to the next
line, so that saves a lot of space.  The I-type was very simple to
create and understand.  Oh yes, after creating the I-type field in the
DICT, one needs to compile it with:
COMPILE.DICT INMATE FULLNAME
As I said, it's actually a little program.

These little programs - the I-types - are one of the real strengths of
the multivalue development environment.

Harold Oaks
Clark County, WA