No, not as phantoms.

Here are all the details:

In the crontab, we have a line of code like this:
22 02 * * 1 /usr/igi/avante96/flodata/live/LIVE.DATA/QUO9010 > /dev/null 2>&1

This will launch a script called QUO9010 and send any UNIX outputs to /dev/null
(effectively ignoring it).  This script looks like this:
#!/bin/sh
# BAC 10-19-11
# Perform Quote Report of International Areas (QUO9010)

# RESET PROFILES
. /etc/profile
. ~/.profile

#setup for Unidata environment
UDTHOME=/usr/igi/ud
UDTBIN=/usr/igi/ud/bin
PATH=$PATH:/usr/igi/ud/bin
TERM=vt100
export UDTHOME UDTBIN PATH TERM

#change directory and run the report
cd /usr/igi/avante96/flodata/live/LIVE.DATA
echo "(QUO9010) Weekly Quote International Report Started..."
date

udt < /usr/igi/avante96/flodata/live/LIVE.DATA/QUO9010.INPUTS >
/usr/igi/avante96/flodata/live/LIVE.DATA/QUO9010.RESULTS

echo "(QUO9010) Weekly Quote International Report Finished..."
date

The key here is that as it fires up udt, it will take inputs from a file called
QUO9010.INPUTS and all output from that (UniData) will go into a file called
QUO9010.RESULTS.

The QUO9010.INPUTS simply goes from the Avanté/SB menu to TCL, runs the report,
displays the MUST.BE.LAST text we put at the end of all of these jobs, then run
"off".

We are thinking that the "off" command is the problem.  OFF (or off) is a verb
with a value of QUIT.  If I look at the VOC for QUIT, it is running:
001: C
002: /usr/igi/sb54/SB.DEFN/DMSH/_SH.OFF

We are thinking it might be the fact that it is running _SH.OFF and somehow
getting messed up.  This morning, we changed one of our jobs from "off" to
"BYE" to simply do a traditional exit from UniData.  Thus far, we have not had
any problems, but the runaway condition is rare and random, so that does not
mean much.  We are considering changing all the "off"s to "BYE", though we have
not done so yet.

Thoughts?

John