The SQL statement sort of looks like:
    SELECT x.Date, x.Portfolio, x.Symbol, y.DateOrig, y.Price
    FROM Tablex x, Tabley y
    WHERE
      x.KeyField = y.KeyField
    AND x.Portfolio = 'TEST';

Portfolio is a D-Type field in Tablex, and when I index it, I'm using
the NO.NULLS option.

Selection behavior is what I would expect with native query language,
(RETRIEVE), when setting up Portfolio as an index or removing it.

However, it seems to make no difference to SQL queries whether the index
is present or not, and that doesn't make sense to me.