From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of
dean.armbrus...@ferguson.com
Sent: 13 September 2012 23:32
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] [UD] LISTUSER output: phantom vs. iphantm

What is the difference between LISTUSER USRTYPEs "phantom" and "iphantm"?

On our systems, we will have 100 to 200 phantom processes, i.e. background
processes, running at any given moment.  When I look at them via LISTUSER,
they will be split approximately 60/40 between phantom and iphantm.  All
were started using the PHANTOM verb.

I can't discern a difference, and I can't find anything about it in the 7.3
UniData documents.  A search for "iphantm" has no hits.

This comes into play because it seems that SYSTEM(514) includes iphantm
sessions in the count, but not phantom sessions.  We have a monitoring
program that warns us if the number of users approaches the configured
license limit, and it uses SYSTEM(514).  We built in for it to allow for a
configurable amount of phantom processes.  If phantom processes may or may
not be included in SYSTEM(514), our monitor program isn't as accurate as it
could be.

It seems to me that neither phantom nor iphantm should be included in
SYSTEM(514).  HELP for SYSTEM(514) states that it returns the number users
currently logged in and does not include phantoms.  Presumably, this is the
number of licenses in use.  Do iphantm sessions use a license?

UniData 7.3.1
HPUX 11.31

Dean Armbruster
Information Technology, System Analyst
Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.
12500 Jefferson Avenue * Newport News * VA * 23602-4314
T: +1 (757) 989 2839 * F: +1 (757) 989 2801
www.ferguson.com<http://www.wolseley.com/>